This grammar section is divided into a few sub-sections, and will be described through a few week activities:
SP9 : Question – Content Questions
- In Chinese, the words order in questions is identical to the order of phrases in statements.
- In Chinese, the question words like What （什么）, Who （谁）, Where （哪里） and How / How about （怎样/怎么样）are ALWAYS at the end of the sentence.
1. What are you doing? nǐ zài zuò shén me ? 你 在 做 什 么 ? Subject Verb Question Word you doing what 2. Who is he? tā shì shuí ? 他 是 谁 ? Subject Verb Question
he is who 3. Where do you go? nǐ qù nǎ lǐ ? 你 去 哪 里 ? Subject Verb Question Word you doing what 4. How did you spend your holiday? nǐ de jiǎ qī guò dé zěn yàng ? 你 的 假 期 过 得 怎 样 ? Subject Verb Question Word your holiday spend how
- The question words like Why （为什么）, When （什么时候）and Which one, or Which （哪一个）are ALWAYS placed at the beginning of the sentence or after the subject.
1. Why must he do it that way? wéi shén me tā yào nà yàng zuò ？ 为 什 么 他 要 那 样 做 ? Question Word Subject Verb why he want to like that do 2. When is your holiday? nǐ men shén me shí hòu fàng jiǎ ？ 你 们 什 么 时 候 放 假 ? Subject Question Word Verb you when holiday 3. Which one is cheaper? nǎ yī gè bǐ jiào pián yí ？ 哪 一 个 比 较 便 宜 ? Question Word Phrase which one more cheap
- Exception: In some cases, the questions word can be placed at the beginning of the sentence, or at the end of the sentences.
- Just remember, the words order in questions is always identical to the order of phrases in statements.
Question with “How” which is placed at the beginning of the sentence :
1. How can I figure out my taxes? zěn yàng cái néng suàn chū wǒ de shuì jīn ？ 怎 样 才 能 算 出 我 的 税 金 ? Question Word Verb Object how can figure out my taxes
Question with “How” which is placed at the end of the sentence :
2. How about recently? zuì jìn zěn yàng ？ 最 近 怎 样 ? Phrase Question Word recently how
Question with “What” which is placed at the end of the sentence :
1. What is that? nà shì shén me ？ 那 是 什 么 ? Phrase Question Word that is what
Question with “What” which is placed in the mid of the sentence :
2. What is your name? nǐ jiào shén me míng zi ？ 你 叫 什 么 名 字 ? Subject Verb Question Word Noun you be called what name
- Have a nice weekend.