- We have learnt 2 types of pattern to form a question:
1. by adding a particle 吗 at the end of a declarative senetence:
Declarative sentence + “吗”
2. by repeating the ﬁrst verb of the verb phrase in afﬁrmative and negative form:
verb + not (不/没） + verb
- Today we are going to learn another to form a sentence by using 是否.
- 是否 means whether or if, and have the similar meaning as 是不是.
- When 是否 is used before a verb, it turns a statement into a yes–no question.
- 是否 questions are more common in written Chinese than in the spoken language.
- Here are some examples that we learn last week. I have restructured the questions by using 是否:
1. nǐ shì fǒu huì shuō zhōng wén ? 你 是 否 会 说 中 文 ? you whether know speak Chinese 你会不会说中文? 2. Are you going swimming tomorrow? nǐ shì fǒu míng tiān qù yóu yǒng ? 你 是 否 明 天 去 游 泳 ? you whether tomorrow go swimming 你是不是明天去游泳? 3. Do you like him? nǐ shì fǒu xǐ huān tā ? 你 是 否 喜 欢 他 ? you whether like him 你喜不喜欢他? 4. Do you have money? nǐ shì fǒu yǒu qián ? 你 是 否 有 钱 ? you whether have money 你有没有钱? 5. Couldn’t you give him a call? nǐ shì fǒu kě yǐ dǎ gè diàn huà gěi tā 。 你 是 否 可 以 打 个 电 话 给 他 ? you whether can call measure
phone to him 你可不可以打个电话给他?
- Try to reply ‘yes’ and ‘no’ to the above questions. You could post your answers in the comment session.