This grammar section is divided into a few sub-sections, and will be described through a few week activities:
SP1. Basic Pattern
SP2. Direct and Indirect Objects
SP3. Prepositional Phrases
SP4. Location and Time Phrases
SP2 : Direct and Indirect Objects
- Similar to English, the direct and indirect objects of the verb in the sentence usually follow the verb.
- For direct object, it has the basic pattern as mentioned in SP1
Subject + Verb + Object (S-V-O)
1. I am French wǒ shì fǎ guó rén 。 我 是 法 国 人 。 Subject Verb Object
- For indirect object, it always precedes the direct object.
Subject + Verb + Indirect Object + Direct Object (S-V-O-O)
1. I give (gave) him a book. wǒ gěi tā yī běn shū 。 我 给 他 一 本 书 。 Subject Verb Indirect
Object 2. He sends (sent) me a birthday card. tā sòng wǒ yī zhāng shēng rì kǎ 。 他 送 我 一 张 生 日 卡 。 Subject Verb Indirect
- The verb 给 and 送 can take two objects. The first one, mostly a personal noun or pronoun, is called an indirect object and the second one, mostly a noun of non-personal reference, is named the direct object.
- Happy learning and have a nice weekend.
21 thoughts on “Chinese Sentence Structure and Word Order II”
what do you mean that the verbs can take two objects?
For these examples:
给 is the verb, and it takes 2 object, i.e. 他 and 书.
送 is the verb, and it takes 2 object, i.e. 我 and 生日卡.
Actually the sentence pattern almost similar to English.
THANK YOU SO INCREDIBLY MUCH 🙂
你好，These lessons are great! You explain things so well!!! 多谢！！！
Thanks. I hope you enjoy learning Chinese on my website.
Dear Min Min,
Gongratulations for your job!
These lessons are really excelent.
Thanks. I hope they do help in learning Chinese.
Hi Min Min,
Your website is very helpful to me, thanks a lot.
thanks so much for putting this together!im teaching myself chinese and this is the best thing ive come across on line!
Thanks. I hope you will this website useful to you to learn Chinese.
thank you so so so much !!!! this wedsite are so so so helpful!! thank you !
Hi Rain memory,
Glad to hear that my website is helpful to you.
Hello, I am a newbie, just started leared chinese yesterday. I think I will be fine with sentence strucuture(thanks to you), but I am having hard time finding diciontary say english-chinese and I can’t type either do you know where I can find chinese words with meaning so I can practice what I learn from here?
Do you mean Chinese-English dictionary?
this is really helpful! thank you! even though i’ve been learning chinese for a while i still haven’t fully grasped sentence structure D:
Thanks. I hope you will like the grammar lessons.