This grammar section is divided into a few sub-sections, and will be described through a few week activities:
SP1. Basic Pattern
SP2. Direct and Indirect Objects
SP3. Prepositional Phrases
SP4. Location and Time Phrases
SP2 : Direct and Indirect Objects
- Similar to English, the direct and indirect objects of the verb in the sentence usually follow the verb.
- For direct object, it has the basic pattern as mentioned in SP1
Subject + Verb + Object (S-V-O)
1. I am French wǒ shì fǎ guó rén 。 我 是 法 国 人 。 Subject Verb Object
- For indirect object, it always precedes the direct object.
Subject + Verb + Indirect Object + Direct Object (S-V-O-O)
1. I give (gave) him a book. wǒ gěi tā yī běn shū 。 我 给 他 一 本 书 。 Subject Verb Indirect
Object 2. He sends (sent) me a birthday card. tā sòng wǒ yī zhāng shēng rì kǎ 。 他 送 我 一 张 生 日 卡 。 Subject Verb Indirect
- The verb 给 and 送 can take two objects. The first one, mostly a personal noun or pronoun, is called an indirect object and the second one, mostly a noun of non-personal reference, is named the direct object.
- Happy learning and have a nice weekend.