- The final (韵母) is made up of the letter(s) after a syllable’s Initials (声母), not including the tone mark. Table below illustrates all Finals in chinese phonetics.
- A final begins with a vowel, it can be made up of 1 to 4 characters.
- A final is called Simple Final when it is formed by 1 character only. (see RED fonts in table below)
- A final is called Compound Final when it is formed by multiple characters. (see GREEN fonts in table below)
- Among all the Compound Finals, there are:
- – 8 Front Nasals Finals (see PINK background in table below)
- – 8 Back Nasals Finals (see BLUE background in table below)